Safeguarding Policy Statement
We in Nerve Centre are committed to a practice which protects children, young people and adults at risk from harm. Staff and volunteers in this organisation accept and recognise our responsibilities to develop awareness of the issues which cause them harm. We will endeavour to safeguard children and young people by:
- Recognising that all children and young people have the right to freedom from abuse and protection from harm.
- Putting in place robust recruitment procedures to ensure that those individuals whose behaviour could be a threat to the safety and well being of children and young people are not offered employment.
- Raising the awareness of the duty of care responsibilities throughout our organisation.
- Actively encouraging good practice amongst all staff and board members and promoting wider awareness wherever possible, i.e. partnership organisations and user groups.
- Creating a safe and healthy environment within all our programmes, avoiding situations where abuse or allegations of abuse may occur.
- Listening to, respecting and promoting the rights, wishes and feelings of children and young people and working closely with other agencies.
- Recruiting, training, supervising and supporting staff who work with children to adopt best practice to safeguard and protect children and young people, from abuse, and themselves against false allegations. Staff who work with children and young people will be subject to the appropriate level employment checks.
- Responding to any allegations appropriately and implementing the appropriate disciplinary and appeals procedures.
- Requiring staff and elected members to follow the Nerve Centre’s Safeguarding Policy and Procedures.
- Having in place Designated Safeguarding Officers who will be trained appropriately to co ordinate child protection issues and give advice.
- Ensuring confidentiality where appropriate is maintained and that access to confidential information is restricted to the appropriate authorities.
- Carrying out a regular audit and review of the effectiveness of our Safeguarding Policy.
- Helping to maintain professionalism and standards of service which are associated with best practice provision.