Transitions Film Project
Transitions is a curriculum-linked moving image resource developed by 12 primary and secondary schools across Northern Ireland.
The programme connected students through Into Film Clubs, on the theme of 'Transitions' for a joint programme of watching, discussing, reviewing and filmmaking over six weeks.
The innovative programme was developed by Into Film Club in partnership with the Nerve Centre's Creative Learning Centre and has been funded by the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure through Northern Ireland Screen and delivered by the Nerve Centre and Cinemagic.
This case study and resource will focus on the activity of six schools and over 120 students who collaborated in partnership with the Nerve Centre to deliver the 'Transitions' programme.
The programme consisted of:
• film screenings, discussions and review sessions
• drama and role play activities exploring characters and roles in films, including positive behaviour practice to encourage empathy among students
• animation and filmmaking workshops to enable groups to create their own short film guide for starting secondary school
Schools involved in the project were:
• Nazareth House PS Derry,
• St Johns PS, Derry
• St Josephs Boys College Derry,
• St Cecilias Girls College, Derry
• St Theresas PS Sion Mills, Strabane,
• Holy Cross College Strabane
With thanks to management and staff of the Nerve Centre Creative Learning Centre, Maura McKee, Justine Scoltock and Katherine Rowlandson at Derry Productions and Northern Ireland Anti Bullying Forum.